So, week two of the challenge was far more successful in choosing clothes — I spent very little time and felt fabulous every day — but far less successful in the taking of photos. For a few reasons:
- It’s now dark when I leave for work in the morning, and dark when I leave the office for the train home. I’m a terrible wimp at getting out of bed when there isn’t even a hint of light glimmering through the window, so He’s not had even thirty seconds of spare time to snap my photo in the morning.
- Weekends this month have been swamped with renovations and travel — which means that I’m either reusing outfits I created during the week to make myself presentable for family and friends, or wearing my oldest, ill-fitting jeans and ratty t-shirts to scrub out the fireplace and chimney/pull things out of crawl spaces.
I’m not displeased with this state of affairs in terms of my life, but it does make the “progress reporting” a little less than terrific. So, here goes — four outfits new for this week.
I stayed late at the office on Tuesday, putting some extra hours in on a big project, since time would be tight later in the week. Comfort for productivity was paramount, so I opted for cozy pieces:
- Gap khaki Chinos with a brown leather belt
- Audrey Hepburn-inspired ballet tee
- My favorite cardigan (similar)
- Veyla fingerless gloves
Wednesday involved a full day with lots of meetings, dinner with a friend who had quite a lot of news to share, a many-hours long music rehearsal, and then a drive that meant sleep happened some time after midnight. Comfort and solid footwear were a must again.
- Gap gray Chinos with a black leather belt
- Geometric print tank
- Halogen cream cardigan
- Born ibis loafers (gray)
Thursday was my first public performance in 15 years, singing with a group of wonderful performers at a cabaret in uptown Manhattan. It was also pouring down rain when I woke up, necessitating a quick shift from the cocktail-dress-plus-suit-jacket I had planned to wear.
- Sleek gray trousers
- Purple split neck tunic
- Black hooded yoga wrap
- Givenchy earrings
- Black ankle boots
I really love the way the wrap top fit snugly over the flowing tunic; I pushed up the black sleeves and then rolled/pinned the purple cuffs to elbow length.
After a week of long hours, Friday was reserved for date night: a walk across the Brooklyn Bridge, light Mexican fare for dinner, and the viewing of a new musical at the Brookyln Historical Society with my favorite guy. (Forgive the terrible expression on my face — the construction dust was flying!)
- Gap 1969 jeans
- Rose-colored tank
- Gray shawl-collar sweater
- Sanne Kalkman’s Percy shawl in lilac cashmere, tied as a scarf inside the sweater
- Trainers (I *really* need to find my fall walking shoes, wherever they’re hiding in storage during renovation!)
If you’re interested in this project, head on over to Greater Than Rubies and see who else is linking up, and how they’re interpreting the challenge.